Standing in the shadow of the lighthouse beside the road from Hull. Designed by Sir William Milner, whose original plan included two further bays at the west end and a large tower, was never completed. In the event a wall with a wide shallow extension containing the west door and a baptistery was constructed, with three windows above similar to those at the east end. Built in 1934-5 in rough red bricks the church consists of a nave, a chancel, north porch, west extension and south vestries. There are three five light mullioned windows on either side of the nave and single lancets either side of the chancel. East and west ends have three stepped lancets, those at the west with straight heads.
The unusual white brick interior seems far larger than expected with a broad three bay nave with narrow side aisles and a high chancel arch, leading to a wide two bay chancel. Beneath the arch, are a pulpit on the south side and a lectern on the north, both standing on brick plinths, beyond which are choir stalls and organ chamber respectively. The chamber for the large house organ, links the chancel to the vestries for the priest and the choir by separate passages, and has a small bellcote above it on the outside. The vestries have mullioned windows and there is a priest’s door at the southern end.

Gardener, some time illustrator, photographer and church enthusiast. Happiest cycling about on country lanes without a care in the world.
4 concerts of new electronic music in 4 churches…