Welwick, St. Mary.

The church is situated at the west end of the village on a sharp bend in the road from Hull to Spurn Point. Most of the building is a 14th.century development of a 13th.century structure, with the nave and chancel extended and the aisles and clerestory added. Before work was completed however, disaster struck with the arrival of the plague in 1347, halting proceedings and compromising future plans.

Consequently when work eventually continued, it was with much reduced resourses, evident in the use of cheaper materials towards the west end. The low tower was rebuilt in the 15th.century and the brick porch which originally had two storeys, in the 18th.century., incorporating the original doorway and niche above of the Virgin and Child.

The light peaceful interior has a four bay aisled nave with Decorated arcades leading to a tall chancel arch, beneath which is an ornate traceried five bay screen, restored in 1905 by John Bilson. The chancel beyond has three further bays with, one of the loveliest Decorated windows in the East Riding at its east end, with beautiful flowing tracery and colourful Victorian glass. The lop-sided addition to its southern companion is said to have been added for a poor sighted incumbent.

In the south aisle there is a large elaborate 14th.century tomb built into the south wall, part of which projects on the outside, commemorating a priest in mass vestments, who rests in a recess below a canopied arch adorned with fruit and flowers. Above which are five panels of foliated arches between the flanking buttresses, that both terminate with pinnacled niches containing saints. Although badly damaged in places the whole work is magnificently carved with numerous sacred symbols, angels and coats of arms included in the overall design.

Far less spectacular but just as interesting in its way, the eastern end of the north aisle has a large floor slab with the brass figures of William and Ann Wright, together with an inscription and coat of arms. William, who died in 1498 was step-brother to John and Christopher Wright who were both involved in the gunpowder plot.

Related News

JH_01

John Howes

Gardener, some time illustrator, photographer and church enthusiast. Happiest cycling about on country lanes without a care in the world.

TheNaturalWorld_Thumbnail

The Natural World

4 concerts of new electronic music in 4 churches…

error: Content is protected !!