The church is tucked away in the village off the Hedon to Withernsea road within a clearing enclosed by trees, and is mainly a 15th. century Perpendicular building of ashlar and cobble, with a tall three stage tower, north aisle, north chapel, and chancel all of this period. The nave and south chapel however, are both of an earlier date as is the large west window in the first stage of the tower which Pevsner describes as ” representing the moment of transition from Decorated to Perpendicular, say the 1360’s. ” Most of the other windows are Perpendicular, with those in the north aisle and north chapel having straight heads and those in the chancel segmental arches. There is also a south window of three lights in the 14th century south chapel which was possibly reset, as it appears to be of the same period as the 13th. century nave.
The atmospheric interior consists of a four bay nave with a transeptial south chapel and a two bay chancel, which was rebuilt in the 15th century when the north aisle and chapel (now the vestry) were added . The south porch was rebuilt in brick during the 17th. century when other restorations took place.

Gardener, some time illustrator, photographer and church enthusiast. Happiest cycling about on country lanes without a care in the world.
4 concerts of new electronic music in 4 churches…